Changing perspectives. Changing lives.
For more than 100 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters has operated under the belief that every child has the ability to succeed, thrive and reach their fullest potential in life. As Connecticut’s largest volunteer mentoring network, Nutmeg Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, professionally supported matches between adult volunteers (“Bigs”) and children (“Littles”), ages 6 through 18, in 111 cities and towns across the state. We develop positive relationships that have a direct and lasting effect on the lives of young people in need.
Vision: A state in which all children achieve success in life.
Mission: To provide children in need with outstanding mentors who help them reach their highest potential.
Accountability: by partnering with parents/guardians, volunteers and others in the community we are accountable for each child in our program achieving:
• Higher aspirations, greater confidence, and better relationships
• Avoidance of risky behaviors
• Educational success
Our Programs Start Something BIG
Here’s the proof. National research has shown that positive relationships between Littles and their Bigs have a direct and measurable impact on children’s lives. By participating in our programs, Little Brothers and Sisters are:
- more confident in their schoolwork performance
- able to get along better with their families
- 46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs
- 27% less likely to begin using alcohol
- 52% less likely to skip school.1
- Read more about our impact>
- Read more about our history>
Learn more about our programs>
- Learn more about our financial operations>
1Tierney, J.P., Grossman, J.B., and Resch, N.L. (1995) Making a Difference: An Impact Study of Big Brothers Big Sisters. Philadelphia: Public/Private Ventures